Bayne out for All-Star Race, Iowa Nationwide event
Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service
(May 19, 2011)
Trevor Bayne will not compete in Saturday's Sprint All-Star Race or Sunday's Nationwide Series race at Iowa , Roush Fenway Racing and the Wood Brothers announced.
Neither the No. 21 Wood Brothers Ford, which Bayne drives in the Sprint Cup Series, nor the No. 16 Roush Fenway Nationwide car will be in competition this weekend because of Bayne's absence.
"Although we would like for Trevor to be on the track this weekend, we want to make sure that he is fully back to prime condition before he goes out to compete with the best drivers in the world," Roush Fenway president Steve Newmark said in a team release.
Since early April, Bayne, 20, has been treated for nausea, swelling, numbness and impaired vision. The cause of his medical issues was thought to be an insect, tick or spider bite, but doctors at the Mayo Clinic, where Bayne underwent exhaustive tests late last month, have not announced a diagnosis.
Bayne won the Daytona 500 in February.
"Obviously we would love to have him back out on the track, but we are not prepared to do that until we are sure that he’s 100 percent," Newmark said. "His symptoms have improved tremendously, but we're still not all the way back to where we want to be."
The Wood Brothers' pit crew was expected to take part in Thursday's Pit Crew Competition.